Branksome Park Bowling Club was formed in 1926 with 20 male members. They had their 1st AGM by the end of that year when the membership had risen to 47. The Club became affiliated to the Dorset Bowling Association in 1930, playing in the Dorset County league and are former holders of the Dorset County Cup.
In 1935 Branksome then joined the Bournemouth and District Bowling Association having grown to 74 members. Over the years we have had many successes.
We are the proud owners of the ship’s bell from the Destroyer H.M.S. Rob Roy which was given to the club by Captain A J Abbey D.S.O. a former club member. For a time it was the practise to call players to tea by the traditional striking of ‘eight bells’. However we still use the bell for that purpose but by striking it only once.
In 2004 it was agreed that the Club would accept ladies so we now have both male and female members which enables the Club to operate with one main committee with everybody on an equal footing.
Both the men’s and ladies have teams in the Dorset and B & D Association Leagues playing on Saturdays, Mondays and Thursdays.
An open afternoon is held once a week (known as spoons) when anyone can come along. The winning rink can win a Branksome spoon. The club holds various competitions, many of which are handicapped based so that any member can be happy to enter.
New members are always welcome
The summer months are always very busy with friendly and league matches, competitions, the Poole Tournament and social events.